Hello wonderful mathies. It's that time of fortnight again ? time to update you on the wonderful things going on with the Math Society in the last little bit. Being lazy and having a strict affinity for unordered list, I shall present these "wonderful things" in a list. Enjoy:
- Nominations for class reps are now open! It's your last chance to get in on the decision-making that MathSoc makes this term. See the Chief Returning Officer's article for more details.
- Nominations for the 2011 FOC (Faculty Orientation Committee, you know, those yellow-vest folks who run orientation week) will be open on November 11th. There will be lots of posters and applications around sometime soon, so watch out for that if you're interested!
- We have come to an agreement with the Dean's office to give MathSoc volunteers access to a Balcony Key, so they and their friends can go and chill (with the weather these days, literally!) on the 3rd floor balcony. So you might find the balcony open some days, feel free to come in and check it out =) And if you really want to get to the balcony, you should become a MathSoc volunteer ? or make friends with a MathSoc volunteer. Come to MC3038 to do either.
- Mathletics funding applications are now open. If you're on a campus rec team, we'll reimburse some of your fee. Grab a form outside of MC3038 to apply.
- If you've been hearing rumors about "UW administration" shortening orientation week (and having to start classes on a Thurs), you can now rest assured that they are unfounded. The 2011/2012 calendar brought to the Senate for approval had a full five day o-week, with classes starting on Monday.
- The MathSoc budget is now approved will be posted on our website soon! This means that MathSoc and our awesome clubs can start doing cool things, and also that you can find out what your MathSoc fee is being used for (such as getting a new microwave for the Comfy, for example).
- Finally, one of my favorite events of the term, the Charity Ball, will be November 20th, and tickets will be going on sale on October 12th, next Tuesday. It will be an a great event for both students and faculty, and will include a night of entertaining, a three-course dinner, live and silent auctions, and dancing all night! So if you wanna come out, get your tickets right away =) Hope to see you there!
As always, concerns / questions / etc are always welcome at email@example.com
MathSoc President, Fall 2010