mathNEWS quiz #3
Greetings, squizzers! There were only four submissions to the squiz this
issue. I was kinda hoping for more, since you folks had a week more than
usual to answer this stuff. Anyway, I hope we get more submissions for this
issue's squiz. Anyway, here are the answers to last issue's squiz: Song
Lyrics: 1) Sheryl Crow -- All I Wanna Do; 2) Monty Python -- Decomposing
Composers; 3) Seal -- Crazy; 4) Def Leppard -- Rocket; 5) Hootie and the
Blowfish -- Let Her Cry; the theme was ``animals''; Just Due It: 1)
All the Queen's Horses; 2) Constable Benton Fraser, RCMP; 3) Detective Ray
Vecchio; 4) Camilla Scott; 5) Lincoln; Mel's Diner: 1) $1.99; 2)
eight; 3) Pud; 4) over-hard; 5) 2 eggs, toast, home fries, bacon, ham,
sausage, and french toast; Time Zones: 1) Greenwich Mean Time; 2) six;
3) 24; 4) November 1, 1884 at Washington, D.C.; 5) Oct. 25.
Allllllrighty, then! We had four submissions this issue. I'll list them off
with the score they got in parentheses: Pokey & Phil Collins (6); Colin
McMillan (6); Aaron Desjardins (8); and the winner is (drumroll please)
... Ian ``The Word Guy'' Facey with 11 points! You can pick up your
squizprize in the MathSoc office, Ian.
And now, on with the squiz!
Song LyricsOne point each for song name and artist, and one extra
point for the general theme
- We've been through this such a long long time,
Just tryin' to kill the pain.
But lovers always come and lovers always go,
An' no-one's really sure who's letting go today.
- When the destination reached,
It was the east detention, where them
Whipped down me pants,
Looked up me bottom.
- Hang my head,
Drown my fear,
Till you all just
- We've got a low pressure system and a northeast breeze.
We've got a falling barometer and rising seas.
We've got the cumulonimbus and a possible gale.
We've got a Force Nine blowing on the Beaufort scale.
- Ladies and gentlemen, I got fat as a public service.
When I was a child, my mother said to me,
``Clean the plate, because children are starving in Europe.''
And I might point out that that was years before
The Marshall Plan was ever heard of.
Movie QuotesName the movie
- ``I always wondered: when a person is insane, as you clearly are, do you
know that you're insane? When you're at home, do you go, `Wow, it is
amazing how fucked up I really am!'?''
- ``Tell Scarlett I do give a damn!''
- ``Would you mind not shooting at the thermonuclear weapons?''
- ``I merely chewed in self-defense. I didn't swallow.''
- ``We can love our pets. We just can't love our pets.''
- What are the five colours of Tiamat's heads?
- What are the three alignments (from D&D)?
- What does ``THAC0'' stand for?
- What are the six standard types of dice?
- What are the six primary character attributes?
I'll Take Potpourri For 100, Alex
- What is the closest star to Earth?
- Which Stuart king was called ``The Hammer Of The Scots''?
- What is the longest chord in a circle called?
- Where are the Isles of Langerhans?
- Name the Marx brothers (no, I don't mean Karl).
Well, good luck everybody! You can submit by either putting a paper
submission in the blackBOX across the hall from the Comfy Lounge, or you can
mail email@example.com with your solution. The
submissions are due Nov. 4, 1996 at 2:30 pm. Until next we meet...
Mike ``Hammer'' Hammond
Ian ``Son Of God Complex'' Milligan
© 1996 mathNEWS