Spermatikos Logos #1
Welcome back everybody! It's your regularly sadistic puzzler, Gigi. I've
decided to continue my theme from last term. Only since this isn't Winter, I've
decided to change it slightly. Here's the first puzzle for you, hope you find
it "fun". If you have any questions about it, you can e-mail me at
Any submissions can be placed in the BLACK BOX
across from the comfy lounge, or e-mailed to either me or to mathNEWS, by 6:00 p.m.
on Monday, May 31. Enjoy!
This week's puzzle — Summer is Warm
Julie, our first victim for this term, has decided to sign up for some
activities through Campus Rec. Unfortunately, each of her first five choices
conflicted with one of her classes (let's assume she needs these courses, and
can't reschedule them). Can you determine when (day of the week, time of day -
all are in the pm) each of the activities are, which class each of them
conflicts with, and Julie's order of preference of each activity?
- The five activities Julie attempted to sign up for are: Social Dance, the
activity on Wednesday, the one that starts at 4:00, the one that conflicted
with CS 351, and her fourth choice.
- Neither CS 351 nor the 8:00 class (which was not Fencing) was on
- Fencing was earlier in the week than C&O 350, which was before the 7:00
- Julie's second choice was the Thursday activity, which was not PM 330.
- The 4:00 class was later in the week than volleyball.
- Neither Ultimate nor the Monday activity (which was not Julie's first
choice) conflicted with PMATH 330.
- Julie's fifth choice was earlier in the day than PM 330.
- The 7:00 class was neither Akwafit nor Julie's first choice.
- Fencing (which is not on Monday) is neither PM 330 nor CS 342.
- CS 342 was earlier in the week than Julie's second choice.
- Volleyball was earlier in the day than her third choice of activity, which
was earlier than the club that conflicted with CS 342.
- Julie's first choice was later in the week than the 9:00 class.
- Ultimate was later in the day than Friday's activity.
- Volleyball (which was not at 9:00) was later in the day than C&O
- Julie preferred Akwafit over her Tuesday activity, the activity which
conflicts with AM 433 over the 6:00 activity, and the 8:00 activity over the
- C&O 350 is not the 6:00 class, and AM 433 was not Ultimate.