When does the hurting stop?
Hey Mathies everywhere! It is I, the Subliminal one, returning to once
again tickle your knowledge-starved palettes with brain-watering morsels of
tasty trivia!!! (Then again, I may just be giving you a temporary diversion
from your class, with a little dose of bribery thrown in.) Anyways, I hope
that you've all had a great winter, and I welcome you back to the insanity
that is the Squiz! For those of you who may be unfamiliar with the format
of the Squiz, let me break it down for you one time. Below are 20
questions, broken up into 4 seperate categories. You answer as many
questions as you can, and submit the answers to me (I'll tell you at the end
how to do this). I then mark the submissions, with each correct answer
getting one mark. The submission which receives the highest score wins a
fabulous/amazing/terrific prize (or, at least whatever the editors can pick
up at the time). Any questions? No? Good. Without further ado, let's get on with the show!!
One point for identifying the song and artist of each, one extra point
for identifying the underlying theme of the songs
- "Who's always writing on the wall?
Who's always goofin' in the hall?
Who's always throwin' spit balls?
Guess who? (Who, me?) Yeah, you!"
- "But he stayed in the city
And kept on changing clothes in dirty old phone booths
Till his work was through
And nothing to do but go on home."
- "'Cause when you say you will, it always means you won't
You're giving me the chills, baby please baby don't
Every night you still leave me all alone..."
- "All my life I've been like this
If you love me it's at your own risk
When the dust hits my shoe
I got the urge to move."
- In "The Wizard of Id," what derrogatory term is the King of Id most
commonly known as?
- In "Dilbert," who is the Human Resources director of Dilbert's company?
- In "Peanuts," who is Snoopy's desert-dwelling sibling?
- In "Hagar the Horrible," what is Hagar's wife's name?
- In "Mother Goose and Grimm," what is the name of Mother Goose's cat?
Trials and Tribulations of Stanley
- The Detroit Red Wings are currently trying to become the fourth team in NHL
history to accomplish what feat?
- Of the 16 teams to make it to this year's Stanley Cup playoffs, which
one has gone the longest without winning the Cup?
- Who was the last person to win the Conn Smythe trophy (which is given to
the most valuable player in the playoffs) but whose team failed to win the
Stanley Cup that year?
- Name one of the 2 players in NHL history to win a Stanley Cup the year
before winning the Calder trophy (which is given to the NHL's Rookie of the
- Name the last team to reach the Stanley Cup Finals after finishing the
regular season with a sub-.500 record.
The Music of Pro Wrestling
- Which wrestler enters the ring to the march of the bagpipes?
- Which wrestler enters the ring to the strands of Nirvana's "Smells Like
- Ric Flair's entrance music is the theme to what famous sci-fi
- Who wrote and performed the Oddities' theme music?
- Which wrestler had his latest theme song written and performed by the
Canadian band, "Odds"?
Well, there you have it. Good luck to all of you. To submit your
solutions, you can do one of 2 things. First, you can place the sheet of
paper (or other material) with your answers inside the BLACK BOX, which is just
located outside of the Comfy Lounge, on the third floor of MC. Secondly,
you can e-mail your solutions to me at
firstname.lastname@example.org. The due date for all
Squiz submissions will be Monday, May 31.
Again, good luck to all. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free
to e-mail me. Until next time, keep smiling!
Chris "Subliminal 3:16 says I just stumped your ass!" McGuire