Wow... was last week ever close. Congratulations to Mission BananaRama, and
the St. Paul's Shadow Council who both got 26 (of 30) and to Josh Chud who
was incredibly close behind with 25. With my extraordinarily random method
of selecting a winner, the St. Paul's Shadow Council is the winner again
this week. (Andrew remembers to point out that one of the councillors can
collect the group prize from the MathSoc office.) Also thanks to: Carrie
Howells, Kyle S, Caitlin Martin (who got the questions the winners
missed), Jamie Wheeler, Glen J Galang, Effervescent Boy and Little Bubbly,
and Greg Morey for your great and sometimes amusing answers.
Last week's answers were: Songs: 1) Dave Matthews Band, "Crash into
Me"; 2) Shania Twain, "Man, I feel like a woman"; 3) Venga Boys, "Boom Boom
Boom Boom"; 4) Blink 182, "What's My age again?"; 5) Geri Halliwell, "Look
at Me". Movies: 1) David O'Hara in Braveheart; 2) James Earl Jones in
Star Wars; 3) Henry Fonda in Battle of the Bulge; 4) Morgan Freeman in
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves; 5) Brian O'Halloran in Clerks. Oscars:
1) 37 (38 as of last week); 2) 5; 3) The Color Purple; 4) Jessica Tandy;
5) Driving Miss Daisy. WWII: 1) Juno Beach;
2) Austria, Czechoslovakia, Poland, Denmark, Norway, France; 3) Lexington;
4) Berlin, Dresden, Leipzig, Chemnitz; 5) HMS Hood
Now for this week. Remember that Daryl takes credit/blame for the songs.
(1 pt. for song, 1 for artist)
- Wouldn't it be great if no one ever got offended,
And wouldn't it be great to say what's really on your mind?
I've always said all the rules are made for bending,
And if I let my hair down, would that be such a crime?
- Maria came from Nashville with a suitcase in her hand
She said she's like to meet a boy who looks like Elvis
She walks along the edge of where the ocean meets the land
Just like she's walking on a wire in the circus
- Stop the looting, stop the shooting
Pick pocking on the corner
See as the rich is getting richer
The poor is getting poorer
- Well he's on the table.
And he's gone to code.
And I do not think anyone knows.
What they are doing here.
- One foot in the hole
One foot gettin' deeper
Crank it to eleven
And blow another speaker
(1 pt. for movie, 1 for actor)
- "You are in a position to demand nothing sir, where I am in a position
to grant nothing."
- "I have more exhibits your honour, though I hesitate to bring them
- "No fucking shit lady! Do I sound like I'm ordering a pizza?"
- "Let's be honest now, so that we don't spend the next ten years being
nice to each other."
- "The Bradbury is more than just a hotel, it's a family. It's a place
where you have an eccentric old bellhop, or a manager who makes thousands
of dollars in long distance phone calls. That doesn't mean you want that
person exposed or fired. Because that would be distressing to the family."
- Who is the head of state in Canada?
- Where is the National Assembly?
- What three positions in Canada merit the title "Right Honourable"?
- At what age must a senator retire?
- What is the highest ranking civil service position in Canada?
- Why is there no joy in Mudville?
- Who did Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert adopt?
- Complete: "...And if I should die, think only this of me: There is
some Corner of a foreign field, that is forever ---------."
- "To you from failing hands we throw the torch be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die we shall not sleep..." is an excerpt
from which poem? (BONUS POINT if you can name the famous room in which
this quote was displayed)
- "Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war" is a quote from which
Andrew "future stats major" Drummond
Daryl "Teddybear" McEachern