Welcome to your second dose of trivia nonsense! Before we get into this week's questions, let's go through the answers from last issue:
"Ma": 1) Maritimes 2) Mamma Mia! 3) The Mayflower 4) Marvin Gardens
5) Stephen Mann, John May and others (there was actually more than 1
correct answer here) M-A-T: 1) a/t 2) ma 3) atm 4) ta 5) MT (empty)
Math: 1) 5280/(16 - 4) = 440 2) 4 * 4 = 16 3) 350 / (138-136) = 175 4) 10 * 5 = 50 5) 6 + 3 - 4 = 5 Rocks: 1) Ayer's Rock 2) Cut, Colour, Clarity and Carat 3) 160 4) The Shawshank Redemption 5) "Say it loud, say it big, let it boil in your blood feel it zag as you zig. We survive all the knocks, we have pride and we cheer and we think Math rocks!"
We have two lovely submissions this issue. In 2nd place was Matt Arnold, who correctly answered 16 of the 20 questions, but fell short to our winner Jenn Meacoe, who scored 19/20! Congrats, you can pick up your gift certificate from the MathSoc office!
So with this issue, summer seems to be in full bloom! Can't beat the
heat? Try beating this Squiz instead! Just submit your answers to the
outside the C&D or email your solutions to email@example.com and you could be walking away with that $5 C&D gift certificate. I hear that's 4 Fruitopias, which do wonders on the hot days which are upon us. So here are the questions:
- Which band's first radio hit was "Summer Girls?"
- Which current television series centers around a fashion designer named Ava Gregory?
- Who is Pedro Sanchez's election opponent in the film Napoleon Dynamite?
- Which reality tv series debuted in summer 2000 and has now aired 10 13-episode seasons?
- In the summer camp song "There are no bananas in the sky," what three things are there in the sky?
Heat and Hot Things
- Fever and chill are the 2 music selections in which Nintendo puzzle game?
- Which television series had an impersonation of Ricky Martin asking whether a cup of hot tea was hot or cold?
- According the Ray Bradbury novel, at what temperature does paper burn?
- Which song features prominently in both the films Napoleon Dynamite and Center Stage?
- What is the closest star to the Earth?
- In which province would I find the rainiest city in Canada?
- Which song was the biggest hit from The Weathergirls?
- In Waterloo, on which channel would I find The Weather Channel?
- What does the Beaufort Scale measure?
- Which 2 actors portrayed Jo and Bill Harding in the movie Twister?
- What does TCBY stand for?
- Which Ice Cream chain celebrated their 31st anniversary in 1976?
- What is the name of the colourful Laura Secord ice cream flavour which is red, blue and yellow?
- What kind of nuts would I find in Spumoni ice cream?
- What three flavours are combined to form Neopolitan ice cream?